Everyone remembers the day they first got their driver’s license. It’s a fantastic day in the life of every teenager who finally has their ticket to freedom. However, just the ticket alone won’t get them any freedom, they need a car first. But buying your first car can always be difficult, as there are so many brands, models and styles. There are also so many directions to take, such as buying a used car privately or from a dealer, buying a new car or even leasing a new car.
So buying a first car isn’t easy and can often be confusing. But if you’re asking us, a first car should always be something used, older and cheap. First-time car owners never take care of their car properly, simply because they don’t know how, therefor it’s a waste to have a nice, new car ruined.
So we say buy older and, being that we’re Audi enthusiasts here, we’re going to give you a list of the five best pre-owned Audis for first time buyers.
5. Mk1 Audi TT – What do teens want most with their first car? Something that looks cool, that’s what. The first-generation Mk1 Audi TT is one of the best looking cars of its time and is certainly stylish enough for a teenager. While it wasn’t the most dynamic car of its time, it’s still fun to drive, quick enough and very cool. Its interior is very special feeling and very sporty. The Mk1 TT was available with either a 1.8 liter turbo four-cylinder or a 3.2 liter naturally-aspirated V6. We say choose the latter, as the 1.8t is one of the least reliable engines of all time. But if you can find a 3.2 liter Audi TT in good condition for a price you can afford, pick one up because it would make a great first car. Average Price: $3,000 – $10,000.
4. C5 Audi A6 – While the A6 might be a bit big and a touch older-looking than some teenagers might like, there is a pretty big tuning scene for the C5-generation Audi A6. Plus, it’s a great value proposition and there are some really cool engines available. There’s either a 2.7 liter twin-turbo V6, 3.2. liter V6 or a 4.2 liter V8. We recommend either the 2.7 twin turbo V6 or 4.2 V8. The former is the same engine is the B5 Audi S4 and is a torque monster and the 4.2 liter V8 is one of the best V8s of its generation. The 3.2 V6 is a good engine, but a bit boring in the A6. It’s also really luxurious and can carry four extra friends. Average Price: $3,000 – $7,000.
3. B5 Audi S4 – The B5 Audi S4 is the first-generation S4, the car that started it all. Admittedly, it’s actually a pretty flawed car, with a stiff suspension and heaps of turbo lag. However, the 2.7 liter twin-turbo V6 is an absolute monster once on boost and incredibly fast. It can also be had with a six-speed manual, so it can teach you how to drive a three-pedal transmission. It’s fast, handles well, looks great and can still seat five people. The 2.7 liter engine wasn’t the most reliable of powerplants, but it’s worth the risk being how fun it is to drive. Average Price: $5,000 – $10,000.
2. D3 Audi A8 – I still haven’t figured out why these cars have become so cheap, but the D3-generation Audi A8 has become incredibly affordable within the past few years. A car that used to push six-figures ten years ago is now affordable enough to be had by first-time car buyers. Admittedly, buying a massive luxury car filled with technology and a massive V8 engine is probably not sound car-buying advice, this much we’ll confess. However, it’s just too tempting to pass up. What 16 or 17 year old kid would not want this mighty V8, all-wheel drive luxury car that would impress every single date until they sell the car. Plus, it’s just an awesome car with a spectacular 4.2 liter V8, a beautiful interior and stunning good looks that will stay fresh for years. Average Price: $7,000 – $12,000.
1. B6 Audi A4 – While the TT might be more interesting looking and the A8 more exciting, the B6 Audi A4 is just such a great all-around car that it can’t be beat. With either a 1.8 liter turbo four or a 3.0 liter naturally-aspirated V6, the B6 A4 is a great fun car to drive. It can be had with either a five-speed manual gearbox or a an automatic. It can also be had in either front-wheel drive or with Quattro all-wheel drive, but I think you already know which we’re going to say you should buy (stay away from the FWD model like the plague). The 1.8t can be made faster, as it’s easier to tune and put a big turbo on it, but the 3.0 liter sounds better and is more reliable. So it’s really you preference. Either way, though, the B6 Audi A4 is great to drive, great looking and probably the best A4 the four-ringed brand has ever made. Being that the B6 is one of the more reliable cars Audi has ever made, the best driving A4 and just an all-around fantastic car, it’s the best used Audi for first time buyers. Average Price: $3,000 – $8,000.